Well, this year didn't end like we all thought it would:( But on the bright side it gave me an opportunity to get my blog started that I promised back in September. Well, I have a lot of catching up to do!
The beginning of our school year included a lot of learning about how to be in a classroom and work together. Following school expectations, my expectations and also learning is a lot for a five year old!
One of the first things we did in math was talk about matching things with similar attributes. We used our shoes to help us understand that. Everyone took their shoes off and put them in a huge pile. Then I gave each kid two shoes that didn't match and they had to find who had the matching shoes. It was a new one for me but we had a lot of fun!
We do a lot of working together!
But they also spend time working independently to develop independent problem soling skills!
We also started using a handwriting curriculum that allows students to make their letters in many different ways. They use chalk and slates, sponges and paper towels to make their letters. I am noticing a lot less letters being reversed since we started using this curriculum!
And sometimes we needed a lot of space to work! Haha!
This is my first year having a student teacher! Ms. David has been doing a fabulous job! She is learning a lot about being a teacher. In January she will start to take over for a few months. I will be in the classroom and I will be teaching some things, but I have complete faith in Ms. David's skills!
The we took a fun trip to the pumpkin patch! This was a highlight of our fall! Every child got to ride out to a pumpkin patch and choose their own pumpkin! Then we brought the pumpkins back and used them for science! We had a lot of fun and we were VERY tired at the end of the day!
We also had a visit from the Tarter Patrol! They used puppets and singing to teach about brushing your teeth, flossing and getting regular check ups! All 135 kindergartners participated in this activity!
We use a lot of pretend play during our choice time at the end of the day! They love making me delicious plates of food to eat! I keep telling them that I'm trying to watch my weight! Haha!
Then we had McTeachers night at McDonalds! I didn't get to see anyone from our class, but we had a fun time! Sorry if I missed you! I spent time calling out orders from behind the counter. I always get this job because I can project my voice:)
In November all of kindergarten got together again and had a friendship soup! Everyone in the class got to help make the soup. Thank you to everyone that sent their item in for the soup! I didn't have to purchase too much this year! And we had a great time!
In early December we had donuts with grandparents! There was a very good turn out! Grandparents and special friends came to enjoy a donut and listen to our choir! That day was also the kickoff for our book fair! Coming up in the new year there will be an opportunity for donuts with dads and donuts with moms. We love family and donuts around here!
Every day we have a calendar time that is led by a student. We are sad that this particular child will not be joining us in the new year. He will be going to a new school. We wish him the best of luck!
As it started to get colder I decided that we need a fireplace in our classroom. If you listen carefully you can hear it crackle!
Normally right here I would show you pictures of our gingerbread houses and our Polar Express day, but sadly our year was cut short due to weather. Please let your children know that we are still going to do everything when we come back from break: Gingerbread Houses, Polar Express day, and we will finish our ornaments that they can bring home.
But for now I leave you with a picture of how we left 2016 in our classroom. The stockings are hung on the fireplace with care! And a warm crackling fire to remind us of the warmth of family and friends. I hope you all have a great Christmas and New Year. I also hope to see everyone safe when they return!
Looks great! Thanks for including all the pictures!
ReplyDelete